This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.
Barks! Woof! Yes, you can include your dog in your wedding.
Easily include your dog in your wedding?
Just imagine your perfect wedding day.
You want all your friends, family, and your beloved four-legged friend to be included.
How cute will he or she be walking down the aisle in a covered leash, as ring bearer or giving you away.
Including your dog in the wedding does require some planning.
Rent a pet-friendly venue
When choosing a venue ask about their pet policy. Confirm that they allow dogs.
Most venues are happy to include your pet. However, not all venues are receptive to including furry friends.
Hire a pet sitter
In a strange place with food, lots of people and activity, you never know how the most well-behaved dog is going to react.
You’ll want to make sure your dog will be happy spending the day celebrating with you and your guests.
Hire or designate a person to be the pet sitter.
A responsible pet sitter will make sure to have plenty of treats, food, and freshwater.
The designated sitter primary responsibility will be caring for your pets.
Taking potty breaks, cleaning up after your pets and even taking them home at some point during the reception.
Train your dog to walk down the aisle
Have your dog sitter, flower girl and everyone who will be handling your dog. Practice, practice, practice before the big day.
Teach your furry companion to be comfortable wearing his or her wedding attire before the wedding.
Whether it’s a bow tie, dress, tutu or anything different than your dog is used to wearing on a daily basis.
If it’s a young puppy, expect that they will not be able to sit calmly for very long.
Have a designated spot where your pet sitter can take your fur baby to relieve him or herself and to run and play. Or even take a nap.
Make sure your guests are comfortable around dogs
When sending out your wedding announcements let guests know there will be a dog at the wedding.
Include a one-line sentence ” Our dog, Ruby,” will be attending the service and celebration.”
This way any guests with allergies can make prior arrangements to sit in the back, near the exit.
Anyone afraid of dogs will have a heads up that there will be a dog participating and to what degree.
Wedding Photos with your dog
Photos with pets are a wonderful way to include your 4 legged friends in your wedding.
- Ask your photographer about their experience working with dogs.
- Bring treats to the photography session. Have the photographer hold the treats up to the camera.
- Taking photos at your dog’s favorite park can make them feel more comfortable.
- Bring someone who can hold your puppy if he or she gets bored.
Expect and be prepared for the unexpected
Eventhe most obedient dog can become excited or stressed by having a lot of people on the big day.
If your dog becomes rebellious, just take it in stride. Nothing ever goes as planned in a wedding. They’ll always be a surprise.
Have the pet sitter front and center at your wedding. They can take over if needed.
Enjoy! And embrace having your best friend at your wedding.
25 Unique ways to include your dog in your wedding
- Have them included in your Save the Date pictures.
- Get an awesome outfit for your dog
- Don’t forget about a special leash.
- Don’t let your dog carry the real rings down the aisle. Use fake rings.
- Have a designated area for your pet sitter and dog to sit.
- Place your pet’s photo on the wedding table alongside the bride and grooms.
- Before walking your dog down the aisle. Take your pet potty.
- Included them in your engagement photo
- Your wedding photos should include the entire family, fur friend included.
- Have a special sign made up that can be attached to them.
- Have them walk down the aisle with the flower girl.
- Use a decorated leash and collar.
- Have your pup hold the rings for the special occasion.
- Don’t want flowers? Carry your dog down the aisle.
- Have the bride hold the leash and let them lead the way to give you away.
- Mention your dog in the vows.
- Have your cake designer include a pet as the cake topper.
- Have your guests donate money to a shelter or pet rescue in lieu of gifts.
- ‘Let your pup give you away. Walk down the aisle ahead of the bride with a decorated leash. Transfer the leash from the bride to the groom as “giving away the bride.”
- Have custom embroidered pocket squares with your dog’s silhouette.
- Make doggie inspired place settings.
- For small dogs use a decorated wagon to pull down the aisle.
- Attach a floral bouquet around your dog’s neck.
- Use doggie take-home treat bags like goodie bags.
- Take your dog out on the dance floor for the bride and groom dance.
Dressing your dog to be in your wedding
Leashes come in a huge variety.
There are rope leashes, which can be decorated with a flower or are great by themselves.
Pearl leashes for the girly girl pup.
Flat plain white or colored leashes with attached bows or bowties.
Bling leather leashes for the stylish pup.
Cotton Rope Leash for Dogs- Durable, Superior Quality, Style and Comfort- 5 Ft. Handmade Natural White Braided Lead for Women, Men and Kids (Small Medium Large Dogs)Ring Bearer Dog Collar and Leash for Wedding – White (5 ft Leash with 25 Inch Collar That Shortens to 9 Inch)Pesp® 120cm 4ft Custom Pearls Beaded Pet Dog Cat Training Leash ToySKL Hot Pink Pet Dog Leash with Sparkly Rhinestone for Cats or Dogs (Leash S)haoyueer Cute Dazzling Sparkling Elegant Fancy Crocodile PU Leather Bling Rhinestone Crystal Jeweled Pet Cat Dog Puppy Collar Dog Leash Combo Set(White,M)CollarDirect Rolled Leather Dog Harness Small Puppy Step-in Leash Set for Walking Pink Red White Blue Green Black Purple Beige Brown Yellow
Your dog’s collar should be comfortable for your pet.
If it dangles to their knees as they are walking they might become agitated.
You’ll want it to match and color coordinate with the bridesmaids or groomsmen outfits.
Stock Show Pet Cute Pearls Collar Necklace Dogs Bling Jewelry Necklace with Rhinestone Rose Flower Pendant Dog Cat Fancy Princess Wedding Collar for Small Dogs Cats Kitten Puppy Rabbits, WhiteLillian Rose PA135 DH Honor Wedding Dog Collar Charm, Measures 1.5″ wide, SilverBro’Bear PU Leather Adjustable Beaded Pet Necklace Dog Puppy & Cat Kitty Buckle Collar with 4 Strings of Pearls, Lace, Rhinestone & 4 Flowers for Small Animals Everyday Walking/Party/Holiday/Wedding/Birthday AccessoriesLillian Rose Adjustable 7-16 inch Tuxedo Dog CollarTail Trends Formal Dog Tuxedo Dog Bandana with Bow Tie and Neck Tie DesignsSCENEREAL Dog Bandana Pet Scarf Kerchief Accessories for Dogs Cats
Dress them in an adorable hat or crown of flowers
Dress your dog for your special occasion.
Make sure the outfit is comfortable for your furry friend.
Practice having your dog wear their wedding attire.
WORDERFUL Dog Wedding Dress Bride Outfit with Pearl Necklace and Rose Pet Princess Formal Apparel for Puppy CatKuoser Dog Shirt Puppy Pet Small Dog Clothes, Stylish Suit Bow Tie Costume, Wedding Shirt Formal Tuxedo with Black Tie, Dog Prince Wedding Bow Tie SuitFitwarm Pet Dog Evening Dress Formal Clothes Tutu ShirtsRubies Costume Company Wedding Veil Pet AccessoryPooch Outfitters Dog Dress Collection | Party & Wedding Dresses – Extensive Selection for Any Style and Occasion | for Small, Medium, Large DogsFitwarm Elegant Lace Pet Clothes for Dog Dress Wedding Apparel Shirts, WhiteAlfie Pet – Oscar Formal Tuxedo with Black Tie and Red Bow TieRubie’s Dapper Dog Pet CostumeRubie’s Costume Company Bowtie and Cuff Set Pet Accessories
Custom cake toppers
Why not include the entire family in a personalized custom cake topper.
They make great keepsakes.
Wedding Cake Topper Bride and Groom Silhouette with 2 DogWedding Anniverary Cake Topper couple with a Dog (Black)Personalized Bride & Groom Kissing, Hugging Silhouette Wedding Cake Topper – Wedding Cake Decoration Mr-Mrs Heart Last Name With DogMirrored ColorMeijiafei Wedding Cake Topper Groom and Bride Kissing with Three Dogs Silhouette Cake Topperzhongfei Wedding Cake Topper Silhouette Couple Kissing with Two Dogs Cake DecorationGroom Bride and Puppy Wedding Cake Topper Custom Made Wedding Favor Mr Mr With Dog Cake Topper for Wedding | Solid Color Cake ToppersMeijiafei Mr&Mrs Bride and Groom with Two Dogs Pet Silhouette Wedding Cake Topper
Weddings can be stressful and overwhelming.
One of the sweetest memories is your furry friend walking down the aisle.
Friends and family are guaranteed to ooh and ahh over the tail wagging cutely outfitted pup looking their best.
Congratulations and have the best time ever at your wedding with your four-legged companion.
Be sure and attach your favorite wedding photo in the comments.