This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.
UPDATED: OCTOBER 21, 2019
“Ever consider what dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul – chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we’re the greatest hunters on earth!” – Anne Tyler
Your dog will love these Easy Vet Approved Dog Food Recipes as its meal. It’s one of our friends dog, Zoey’s favorites! You can feed these recipes-raw or cook the entire meal.
Homemade dog food can benefit your pets in a number of ways. Most importantly if you have a dog who suffers from allergies, skin problems or gastrointestinal issues.
Kibble is highly processed and tends to lose it’s nutritional value.
Making dog food from scratch maintains vital nutrients, therefore making it easier and healthier for your dogs. Besides, who wants to eat the same thing everyday!
Tips and Tricks for Feeding Homemade Vet Approved Dog Food Recipes
Just like people, each dog is different and needs different nutritional and amounts of food. There is no one dog fits all rule.
Your dogs weight, health conditions, level of activity and size are all things you should consider when feeding your dog homemade dog food.
A good mix of a dogs basic requirements are enough to maintain a healthy and balanced diet.
Every dog needs protein, carbohydrates, fat, water, minerals and vitamins. I always include a good multi-vitamin like these 5-in-1 Zesty Paws Multivitamin Bites.
Keeping our pets happy and healthy is always my number one concern.
Choose meat with a little fat. Raw meats include:
- Proteins like Beef, Venison, Lamb, Rabbit, Hamburger, Chicken and Turkey help with growth of your dog, maintenance of tissues, organs and provides the necessary amount of hormones and enzymes.
- Fats from oil and meats help with the absorption of vitamins, protects the internal organs and most importantly helps maintain good skin and hair. I prefer using fish as the main source of fats.
- Carbohydrates like rice, beans and corn helps to keep the intestines healthy while suppling glucose to the organs and most importantly the brain.
- Vitamins A, B, C, D, E and K promote the greatest benefits to the skin, eyes, and provide immunity for our dogs.
Try experimenting with vegetables.
- Try grated zucchini,
- Yellow Squash,
- Chopped Alfalfa Sprouts,
- Green Beans,
- Parsnips, or
My dogs love raw carrots. They put them between their paws and will spend a good half hour just chewing on a raw carrot.
For mealtime, I find my dogs digest cooked vegetables better than raw vegetables. Raw broccoli can cause gas.
These are a good basic diet for adult dogs. If your puppy is overweight, has allergies or needs a high protein diet you’ll want to make the necessary adjustments.
A Couple of Easy Ways to Cook Dog Food
If you’re cooking the meat instead of leaving it raw I recommend cooking it a couple of different ways.
The first is to simmer it in water in a pot on the stove. Then mix the cooking water with the food and you’ll end up with a stew-like bowl for your puppy.
Youll always want to overcook the grains you choose so that it is easily digestible. Some veterinarians now feel grains should be limited, so check with your pet on his particular nutritional needs.
3 Quick and Easy Vet Approved Dog Food Recipes
These meals for dogs are quick and easy to make.
- Most of these recipes make enough for two meals for a 50-lb dog.
- For a 25-lb dog, these would make 4 meals.
- For a hundred pound dog, double the recipes.
Vitamin, Mineral and Nutritional Blends I use for my Dogs
- I use this vitamin and mineral blend for my dogs.
- Nutritional vitamins for my dog’s food.
- Omega 3 Fish Oil and Omega Supplements.
- Probiotic Nutritional Blend
1. Vet Approved Dog Food Recipe
Toby’s Favorite Gourmet Dog Food Recipe
- 1 1/2 Cups Beef
- 1/2 Cup Plain Yogurt
- 1/4 Cup Liver
- 3/4 Cup Pureed Sweet Potato
- 1350 Milligram Calcium Capsules
- 2 Milligrams 1000 Fish Oil Capsules
- 1 1/2 TSP Immune Blend ** See Below**
- Mix all ingredients to serve it raw. Saute beef and liver, cut into cubes if you’d prefer it cooked.
- Mix with yogurt and any juice from the pan.
- Add Calcium, Fish Oil Capsules and Immune Blend
2. Homemade Vet Approved Dog Food Recipe
Zoey’s Favorite Fully Balanced Gourmet Dinner
- 3/4 Cup Brown Rice in 2 Cups of Water
- 1 1/4 Cup Chopped Raw Chicken
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Small Zucchini
- 1/4 Cup Broccoli, steamed and cut into small pieces
- 1/4 Cup Sweet Potoatos – steamed and mashed.
- 1 1/2 TSP Virgin Olive Oil
- Vitamin and Mineral Supplements
- Enzyme Supplements
- Cook the rice in 2 cups of water. You’ll want this too well cooked.
- Mix all the ingredients together. Follow the manufacturer’s directions on the Vitamin, Mineral and Enzyme supplements.
- Mix it all together and serve to your dog.
- *** You can toss the chicken and vegetables with the olive oil to cook if you prefer not to serve it raw. Include the Vitamin, Mineral and Enzyme supplements after it’s cooked. ***
3. Homemade Dog Food Recipe, Vet Approved
Homemade Dog Meat and Vegetable Vet Approved Dinner
- 3/4 Cup Brown rice
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 1/4 Cups Cubed organic free-range chicken or turkey
- 1/4 Cup Raw grated zucchini
- 1/4 Cup Broccoli
- 1/4 Cup Sweet Potatoes
- 1 1/2 Tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Vitamin and Mineral supplement
- Enzyme Supplement
- Cook brown rice in 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. ** Over cook the rice for better digestion.
- Leave the chicken raw or boil the chicken in water – add both chicken and water to the remaining ingredients.
- Cook Vegetables to soften.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- 8 Ways to Keep Your Pets Healthy and Live Longer
- Daisy’s Beefy Bacon Dog Biscuits
- Does Your Dog Like to Chew? 5 of the Best Chew Toys for Dogs
- Join Our Birthday Club
- Treats! It’s How Trainers Keep Their Dogs Focused